Ruth Todd Biographical Material:
- The memorial volume on the life and work of Joseph Cushman was organized and edited by Ruth Todd. Published by Cushman Laboratory after his death, it includes chapters written by Ruth Todd, Alice Cushman and John Reeside, among others.
- Great Names in Micropaleontology, a book chapter written by Ruth Todd on the contributions of Joseph Cushman (in Foraminifera, Part 2, Academic Press).
- An unpublished biographical sketch of Joseph Cushman written by Ruth Todd and submitted to Karl Gelpke of Sharon, Massachusetts.
- Joseph A. Cushman and the Study of Foraminifera was written by Ruth Todd as a chapter of the Geological Society of America's Centennial Special Volume 1. Used with permission from The Geological Society of America.
- Ruth Todd compiled biographical notes for a Joseph Cushman biography. These are her year summaries beginning in 1929 and continuing until his death in 1949.
Ruth Todd audio clips
Ruth Todd describes her arrival at the Sharon MA lab to begin her work with Dr. Cushman
Ruth Todd talks about Cushman fishing in Randolph NH and his work with genealogies
Other Biographical Material:
- A biographical entry written by Joseph Cushman for his 1928 Harvard Class Notes.
- James Waters' memorial of Joseph Cushman published in The Bulletin of the American Association of Petroleum Geologists, 1949. (J. A. Waters, 1949. Joseph Augustine Cushman, 1881–1949. Memorial published in The Bulletin of the American Association of Petroleum Geologists, Volume 33, Number 9, p. 1457–1468. AAPG ©1949. Reprinted by permission of the AAPG whose permission is required for further use.)
- Lloyd Henbest's memorial and biography of Joseph Cushman published in the proceedings volume of the Geological Society of America's annual report for 1951. Used with permission from The Geological Society of America.
- Cushman Foundation Special Publication on the history of micropaleontology and Joseph Cushman's contributions to foraminiferal research.
- Twenty-fifth Anniversary of Sharon Lab clipping
- Visit the Cushman Foundation's website
Miscellaneous Newspaper Clippings
- A 1941 notice from the Bridgewater Historical Society reporting Cushman's donation of a powder horn and rifle to the Society.
- A Boston Herald newspaper clipping reporting the honorary degree Cushman received from Harvard, 1937.
- A Boston Globe 1936 clipping reporting the election of Joseph Cushman to the position of President of the Paleontological Society of America.
- A family memory book page with an unattributed newspaper clipping reporting Joseph Cushman's death in 1949.
[ TOP ]